Monday, February 2, 2009

Working

Well I have again entered the work force. It's kind of a funny story... and it's an odd thing too....

When I was in Alabama I thought it was a complete waste of time. Aparently not.

When Greg went on strike and I went to work, I jumped at the first opportunity. I needed to feel like some money was coming in. We have 4 kids. It's important that we eat and have lights and clothes. So I went to work for Rabalais-Williams, attorneys. This was interesting because originally, when I was told to choose a career, I had chosen Legal Secretary, but I had never actually worked in the legal field. I had worked as a secretary for an insurance company, the Army, in logistics, security, and financial areas, and had worked for architects. I had worked accounts payable (and some receivable) for a property management firm and had worked doing the books for my husband's construction company. So it was cool to be doing what I had originally planned, but scary going back to work after such a long break (about 10 years). I worked for them for 3 months and really enjoyed the work though there was a lot of it. I don't remember having 10 seconds to think, "What should I be doing now?" because there was always something to do. Let alone have time to goof off. But that's ok. I like a challenge and I like being busy. When Greg went back to work rather abruptly, I had to go home. I quit and after 2 years I get a call from one of my old bosses. He asked me to come back.
Now whether I wanted to or not was not the point. I actually had been perusing the classifieds in frustration over the lack of workover for Greg, and had considered part time... but where? And would anyone appreciate me more than $7.00 an hour? So it was in the back of my mind... but the point is
* There is a recession
*My old boss asked me back.
Now I don't know anything else when he calls. I told him I'd come in and talk to his personnel person (who I think is named Dustii. Isn't that darling!! I love it. Makes me want to call Katie Katii. ) Anyway, it was extremely flattering to be asked back and I was just delighted. He kept telling me I was the first person he thought of, which was very sweet. Evidently not everyone understands his Alabama accent. See you knew that was coming into the picture again somewhere!! He's from Alabama (pictures of the Great Coach with the Plaid Hat on the wall) and voice recognition software does not recognize Alabama. Neither does just any secretary. So I have a talent that is useful... that I got in Alabama.
The fact that I work hard is probably nice too... Anyway it was very flattering and I'm afraid I fell for it (they offered me 50% more than I was making before too. Which is more reasonable I must say.) I need to get in a better financial position for our family and this is more time than I was willing to commit but they are working with me... we'll see how it works in the Summer... Anyway, so if I'm not blogging its because I am cramming 24 hours into 14 at home now. I will still be involved in all the goofy stuff I am doing (still putting on a food storage workshop in March too) and I may actually get something in the paper too.
Wish me luck!!

No comments: