
Here we have Katie reading to the dog, I was trying to catch them before they looked up, but Katie was reading "James and the Giant Peach" very quietly but out loud to the dog next to her on the swing. Tilly was looking up at her as if she was trying to understand.
Ok I have bored EVERYONE within earshot of how the boys took 12th in the nation. In celebration they let the kids wear jeans today (yawn. But with uniforms every day I guess it's a bigger deal than that.) and our City/Parish President Joey Durel has declared Wednesday, November 19th to be Lafayette High School Mighty Lion Marching Band day (that won't fit on the calendars LOL) in celebration for their accomplishment.
My boys are just delighted there are no more after school band practices. Alexander went out and did some bench presses to keep up his "marching muscles" today, glad he didn't have to run "suicides" (run to the 5, back to the end zone, run to the 10, back to the end zone...etc.) They have the kids march off 10 yards with their eyes closed every day to make sure they have their stride matching everyone elses. It's intense... we are celebrating by shaking hands and getting to know these two teenaged strange boys all over again. And haircuts. My gosh there has been NO time for a haircut since Band camp started in July. I took Philip out in September and sheared him (the kid can grow hair!!) and I'm afraid I sheared Alex a little close, but he did not complain. "It will be under the Shako anyway Mom"... Like there is no life but Band Performances... which there really wasn't... so Life Begins Anew!! Very exciting.
Seriously though the show was incredible. If you are one of the folks we are coming to visit, we are copying it onto our laptops so we can bore you with it when we get there, even if you dont' get internet.
THis is what you say. "Nice Intervals! What straight lines! Wow I love the music! The BRASS was really nice there! Wow the shiny horns are so awesome! Great visuals! The Color Guard really adds a lot to the program! I love that effect! Wow listen to that BRASS!!!!" So you can make the proper noises. Don't you wish you always got the "teleprompter" ahead of time to tell you what to say??!!!
At the last performance we got to see live, we wore shirts, painted with letters on them. Greg, Katie, Elizabeth and I wore the word "DUCK" on the front and "PHIL" on the back. Philip said he saw us come in with our crazy shirts and was feeling left out.... but when the Seniors took the field (it's tradition to let them try to march the show they had when they were Freshmen) and Philip ran and borrowed a Tuba (he marched Tuba that year!) we kept turning around and waving our arms, so he got the message and felt loved too. He was hilarious, even did the "visuals" which are the goofy things you do that are extra like turning a 60 pound instrument on it's side and back... He was the ONLY Tuba so it was really funny seeing him do all this goofy Tuba stuff. Of course when Alexander saw the DUCK he thought it was great to have a fan club. He's less embarassed about us than he used to be. Constant vigilance on our part has helped. We yell "DUCK" at every performance. I am sure some of those kids think there is something coming at them they need to duck for... But Alex gets a big grin (unless it's an important competition, where he doesn't crack a smile LOL! But he always manages to turn a nice beet red!) I am so proud of them both.
Love to all! Seminary back in action in the morning!
2 comments:
That is really impressive that the band got that high. I know the competition is really great. Am looking forward to getting to see it.
pswhoops, wrong place. Katie - keep reading to the dog. You never know how much they just might understand. Sure look forward to seeing all of you.
Post a Comment