Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Teach me something, Coach!

Well for a few days I have some time... which is really, really nice. So I thought I would write a little about a peeve of mine, HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS or lack thereof. I put it on another blog because it doesn't really fit with "family" so I made one just for my school rants.
I looked up tai chi by the way, it's a pretty amazing little workout that looks like it gives you time to stretch and exert control which is a lovely discipline over your body and your mind. Can you imagine 50 boys doing this? Oh yes, I can, and I can imagine them doing aerobics and marching with a band instrument too. And track, soccer, volleyball, baseball and football; tennis, ping-pong, LaCrosse, roller skating, ice skating (a real treat on a hot day LOL), frisbee football (known in Scouting circles as "Ultimate", golf, racquetball, swimming and all the other sports they are NOT learning how to play. Including Dance (I would love to see the school spring for 50 mats for Dance Dance Revolution but I don't see it happening LOL!)

4 comments:

The Pecks said...

In Vienna they require the kids from kindergarden through 12th grade to take 2 hours of swimming a week and then 2 more hours of phys. ed. a week. This is easy phys. ed. This is rope climbing, running, etc. They do a better job there at keeping the kids in shape then they do here. The phys. ed programs here really do need some overhauling. Just my opinion.
Lori

The Pecks said...

Sorry, I meant the it ISN'T easy phys. ed.

grandma skettie said...

Good for you. I think phys ed is important especially, considering all the children that are getting fatter and fatter. Can you believe that some of the grade schools in Georgia didn't even have recess. Kids need a physical outlet, otherwise they become shaped like an "A". Keep up the good work.

Heidi said...

The whole blog is posted at www.cajunschools.blogspot.com
You can tell I have really gotten crabby about it... all they ever do is basketball!